Marshia is a Senior Research Associate with the Canada Excellence Research Chair in Migration and Integration Program at Ryerson University. Her research broadly encompasses economic and social integration of migrants in Canada. She is particularly interested in analyzing how migration and settlement policies shape the labour market integration of migrants across Canadian cities. Her doctoral and postdoctoral research findings have been published as journal articles and web-based reports.
- Akbar,M. (2020) Immigrants and resilience
- Akbar,M(2020). Building system resilience
- Akbar, M. (2019). Examining the Factors that Affect the Employment Status of Racialised Immigrants: A Study of Bangladeshi Immigrants in Toronto, Canada. South Asian Diaspora, 11(1), 67-87.
- Akbar, M and Preston, V. (2019) Migration and Resilience, Exploring the Stock of Knowledge: Review of Literature 2000-2016, BMRC Working Paper, June 2019
- Akbar, M. Ray, B., Rose, D. and and Preston, V. (2019) Industry of Employment by Immigration Status: A Comparison of Major Cities in Ontario and Quebec, BMRC Report 2, April 2019
- Akbar, M., Ray, B. and Preston, V. (2018) Trends in Immigration Class: Census 2016, BMRC Report 1, March 2018 .
- Kelly, P., Park, S., and Akbar. M. (2011) Profile of Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) Immigrants to Canada, 1996-2009, TEIDI Analytical Report 26, September 2011.
- Preston, V., Phan, M., Akbar, M. Park, S. and Kelly, P. (2011) How does Full/Part-Time Employment Affect Labour Market Outcomes Over Time?, TIEDI Analytical Report 25, September 2011
- Preston, V., Akbar, M, Phan, M., Park, S. and Kelly, P. (2011) Continuity of Employment for Immigrants during the First Four Years in Canada, TIEDI Analytical Report 24, August, 2011
- Akbar, M. and Preston, V. (2020) The Social Characteristics of Temporary Foreign Workers Living in Ontario and Quebec, BMRC
- Akbar, M. and Preston, V. (2020) The Social Characteristics of International Students in Ontario and Quebec
- Preston, V., Akbar, M., Bedard, T., Hutfless, I. and Wayland, S. (2020) Building System Resilience: Learning from Local Immigration Partnership’s Environmental Scans and Service Inventories
- Akbar, M. and Charles, N. (2019) How Did Immigrants Admissions Changed in Canada? BMRC.