Associate Professor at Brock University
Dr. Deborah McPhee (nee Zinni), the former Associate Dean of Undergraduates and AACSB at the Goodman School of Business at Brock University, is an Associate Professor, and Chair of her department. She possesses over 25 years of senior Human Resources Management experience. She has authored numerous refereed journal articles, HRM textbooks, book chapters, and case studies. Her research interests’ focus on HRM policies, attraction and retention of talent, aging workers, and Health & Safety. Dr. McPhee is currently working with a team of researchers on violence against women and the promotion of friendly pet shelter policies, for which they have received funding from SSHRC. Deborah is also part of funded Partnership Grant – SSHRC – Co-applicant - Schlosser, F. (PI), Ghosh, S., McPhee, D.M., Carvalho de Azevedo, M. Exploring the Involvement of Institutions in Matching Immigrant Newcomers and Closing Family Businesses in Windsor and Toronto. She is also working on several other research projects related to Talent Management in the Cannabis industry. Deborah is the recipient of two national awards for teaching and advancing HRM and Health and Safety as a field of study.
Research interests include aging workers as it relates to career transitioning, the attraction and retention of employees (Aboriginal and pet-friendly policies), young and older workers health and safety, and leadership. McPhee utilizes her practitioner and academic training to strengthen the HRM policy aspects of her research.
- Lapointe-Antunes, P. and McPhee, D.. Houston We Have a Problem: They Paid Themselves Bonuses!, Case Research Journal. Volume 38, Number 1, 2018.
- Schlosser, F., McPhee, D. and Forsyth, J.. Chance Events and Executive Career Rebranding: Implications For Career Coaches and Nonprofit HRM, Human Resource Management Journal. Volume 56, Number 4, 2017.
- McPhee, D., Julien, M., Wright, B. and Miller, D.. Smudging, connecting, and dual identities: Case study of an Aboriginal ERG, Personnel Review. Volume 46, Number 6, 2017.
- McPhee, Deborah M., Sears, Greg and Wiesner, Willi. Independent and Joint Effects of Personality on Intentions to become an Active Participant in Local Union Activities, Journal of Psychology: Interdisciplinary and Applied. Volume 148, Number 2, 2014.
- Schlosser, Francine, McPhee, Deborah M. and Armstrong-Stassen, Marjorie. Intention to Unretire: HR and the Boomerang Effect, Career Development International. Volume 17, Number 2, 2012.
- Armstrong-Stassen, Marjorie, Schlosser, Francine and McPhee, Deborah M.. Seeking Resources: Predicting retirees' return to their workplaces, Journal of Managerial Psychology. Volume 27, 2012. Schlosser, Francine and McPhee, D.. Transitioning Ageing Workers from Paid to Unpaid Work in Non-Profits, Human Resource Management Journal. Volume 21, Number 2, 2011.
- Julien, M., Wright, B. and McPhee, D.. Stories from the circle: Leadership lessons learned from aboriginal leaders, Leadership Quarterly. Volume 21, Number 1, February, 2010. Julien, M., Wright, B. and Zinni, D.. Stories from the Circle: Leadership Lessons Learned from Aboriginal Leaders., Leadership Quarterly. Volume 21, Number 1, February, 2010.
- Schlosser, F., Zinni, D. and Templer, A.. Using Self-Concept Theory To Identify And Develop Volunteer Leader Potential In Healthcare, Advances in Healthcare Management. Volume 8, July, 2009.
- Julien, M., Zinni, D. and Wright, B.. Keeper of the drums: Female Aboriginal leadership and the salience of gender, Advancing Women in Leadership. Volume 28, Summer, 2008.
- Singh, P., Zinni, D. and MacLennan, A.. Graduate Student Unions in the United States, Journal of Labor Research. Volume 27, Number 1, Winter, 2006.
- Zinni, D., Singh, P. and MacLennan, A.. An Exploratory Study of Graduate Student Unions in Canada, Relations Industrielles/Industrial Relations. Volume 60, Number 1, Winter, 2005.
- Singh, P., Zinni, D. and Jain, H.. The Effects of the Use of Striker Replacement Workers in Canada: An Analysis of Four Cases, Labor Studies Journal. Volume 30, Number 2, Summer, 2005.
- Zinni, Deborah, Mathis, Robert, L. and Jackson, John H.. Human Resources Management, Nelson Publishing, Toronto, Ontario, 2010. ( pages).
- Mathis, Robert L., Jackson, John H. and Zinni, Deborah M.. Human Resource Management, Thomson Nelson, Toronto, Ontario, 2008. (640 pages).
- Julien, M., McPhee, D. and Wright, B.. Women's Leadership Issues: An International Perspective - Chapter: Female Canadian Aboriginal Leadership and The Salience Of Gender: The Keepers Of The Drums. Editors: . AdvancingWomen, Texas, 2012. Zinni, M.A.. Organizational Behavior: Canadian Cases and Exercises - Chapter: The People's Insurance Company of Canada. Editors: Hoffman, R. and Ruemper, F.. Captus Press, Toronto, 2001.
- Wright, B., Julien, M. and McPhee, D.. Reflections on Authentic Leadership: Concepts, Coalescences and Clashes - Chapter: Authentic Canadian Aboriginal Leadership: Living by the Circle. Editors: . , , .