Associate Professor at Wilfrid Laurier University
Jenna Hennebry holds a Ph.D. in Sociology, is an Associate Professor affiliated with the Balsillie School of International Affairs, and was the previous Director of the International Migration Research Centre (IMRC) at Wilfrid Laurier University. Her research focuses on international migration and mobility, with a specialization in lower-skilled labour migration with regional expertise in Canada, Mexico, Morocco and Spain.
Dr. Hennebry’s research portfolio includes comparative studies of migration policy and foreign worker programs with an emphasis on migrant rights and health, migration industries, non-state migration mediation, transnational families, and the role of remittances in development. Recent work examines the role of bilateral labour mobility agreements in protecting migrant rights and social protections, non-state actors and an expanding migration industry in foreign worker programs, and shifting regimes of labour migration governance worldwide (e.g. www.mappingmigration.com and www.migrantworkerhealth.ca).
Dr. Hennebry is currently working with UN Women to provide key analytical and methodological support to the UN Women’s project on Promoting and Protecting Women Migrant Worker’s Labour and Human Rights. She is also working with the World Bank on the KNOMAD project, KNOMAD draws on experts from all parts of the world to synthesize existing knowledge and generate new knowledge for use by policy makers in sending and receiving countries.
- Critical Security Studies
- Global Political Economy
- Hennebry, J., Piper, N., KC, H., & Williams, K. (2022). Bilateral Labor Agreements as Migration Governance Tools: An Analysis from a Gender Lens. Theoretical Inquiries in Law, vol. 23(2): 184-204.
- Hennebry, J., KC, H. & Williams, K. (2021.) Gender and Migration Data: A Guide for Evidence-Based, Gender-Responsive Migration Governance. International Organization for Migration (IOM). Geneva.
- J. Hennevry. "Minister Mendicino"
- J. Hennebry. "Immigration panel"
- Trinidad, A., R.M. Soriano, J. Hennebry & K. Kopinak. “La economía global y sus prácticas transnacionales: el caso del norte de Marruecos.” Revista Española de Investigaciones Sociológicas (October 2015).
- Hennebry, Jenna, Janet McLaughlin and Kerry Preibisch. “'Out of the Loop': (In)access to Health Care for Migrant Workers in Canada.” Journal of International Migration and Integration (January 2015).
- Hennebry, Jenna. “Falling Through the Cracks: Migrant Workers and the Global Social Protection Floor Initiative.” Global Social Policy (August 2014).
- Hennebry, Jenna. “Transnational Precarity: Women’s Migration Work and Mexican Seasonal Agricultural Migration to Canada.” Thematic Issue on ‘Gender and Migration in the Global Economy,’ International Journal of Sociology (Fall 2014).
- McLaughlin, Janet, Jenna Hennebry and Ted Haines. “Paper versus Practice: Occupational Health and Safety Protections and Realities for Temporary Foreign Agricultural Workers in Ontario.” Pistes: Interdisciplinary Journal of Work and Health (April 2014).
- Hennebry, J. (2021, November). The Resilience Shuffle: Temporary Migrants and Canadian Communities Dance Around the Problem. In Migrant Resilience in Canadian Cities: People, Institutions and Policies webinar on Hiring, Discrimination and Newcomer Resilience. November 2021.
- Petrozziello, A. & Hennebry, J. (2021, May). A Gender-Based Approach to Settlement and Integration Support. In Migrant Resilience in Canadian Cities: People, Institutions and Policies webinar on Gender, Civic Engagement, and Migrant Resilience. May 12, 2021.